Report: Kenlock’s goal wins it for Blues in third pre-season outing
Ipswich Town continued their pre-season schedule with a 1-0 victory at National League Barnet this afternoon.
Full-back Myles Kenlock scored the only goal of the game, as he got forward well to slam the ball home following a neat pass from new signing Gwion Edwards.
The Blues had plenty of possession without creating too many chances, in what is sure to be another useful 90 minutes as Paul Hurst continues to assess his squad ahead of the start of the Championship season.
Bartosz Bialkowski returned in the Ipswich goal following his time at the World Cup with Poland, with the only change to his defence seeing Josh Emmanuel get the start at right-back ahead of Jordan Spence. Flynn Downes was paired with Cole Skuse in midfield, while a three of Grant Ward, Martyn Waghorn and Jordan Roberts operated behind lone striker Freddie Sears.
The Blues saw plenty of the ball in the first half, with Skuse in particular pinging it around well, but only two chances of note were created.
You may also want to watch:
The first saw Roberts fire wide after he picked up on a loose ball on the edge of the box, before Waghorn floated his free-kick into the side-netting as the first half was drawing to a close.
Andre Dozzell, Tristan Nydam and Gwion Edwards were introduced at the break, with the latter providing the final ball as Kenlock fired home to give the Blues the lead after 67 minutes.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
That’s how it stayed, as the Blue survived a late push from the hosts.
Ipswich Town: Bialkowski (Gerken 60); Emmanuel (Spence 72), Chambers (Ndaba 72), Woolfenden, Kenlock (Clements 72); Skuse, Downes (Nydam 46), Ward (Edwards 46); Roberts (Folami 72), Waghorn, Sears (Dozzell 46)