Ipswich Town will travel to Germany to take on their friends at Fortuna Dusseldorf
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Ipswich Town are heading to Germany this summer to take on Fortuna Dusseldorf in a pre-season friendly – a club whose similar history has led to a close bond between the two sets of fans.
Mick McCarthy’s men will play at the club’s reserve ground – the 7,200 capacity Paul-Janes-Stadion – on Friday, July 17 (5.30pm GMT).
The relationship between the two clubs began almost 10 years ago when 79 Fortuna fans made a trip to Portman Road and immediately fell in love with the Suffolk side.
The ‘Fortuna Blues’ branch of the Ipswich Town Supporters’ Club was formed and every year Dusseldorf fans have travelled over in increasing numbers to make noise in the far corner of the Sir Bobby Robson stand.
Close to 200 of the German Tractor Boys watched Town’s 1-0 home loss to Derby back in January, that their 11th trip in nine years.
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for more on this story.
Town’s confirmed pre-season matches so far include:
- 1 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 4 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 14 players that Town could target for a creative spark
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 'He's an amazing guy... a legend' - United keeper de Gea's praise for new Town coach Grant
- 9 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 10 Two vehicle crash on the A140 blocks traffic on major Suffolk route
– Shelbourne, Tolka Park, Dublin on Saturday, July 11 (3pm)
– Cambridge United, The Abbey Stadium on Tuesday, July 21 (7.45pm)
– Peterborough United, London Road, Saturday, July 25 (3pm)
– Colchester United, The Western Home Community Stadium, Tuesday, July 28 (7.45pm)