Ipswich Town will travel to Germany to take on their friends at Fortuna Dusseldorf
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Ipswich Town are heading to Germany this summer to take on Fortuna Dusseldorf in a pre-season friendly – a club whose similar history has led to a close bond between the two sets of fans.
Mick McCarthy’s men will play at the club’s reserve ground – the 7,200 capacity Paul-Janes-Stadion – on Friday, July 17 (5.30pm GMT).
The relationship between the two clubs began almost 10 years ago when 79 Fortuna fans made a trip to Portman Road and immediately fell in love with the Suffolk side.
The ‘Fortuna Blues’ branch of the Ipswich Town Supporters’ Club was formed and every year Dusseldorf fans have travelled over in increasing numbers to make noise in the far corner of the Sir Bobby Robson stand.
Close to 200 of the German Tractor Boys watched Town’s 1-0 home loss to Derby back in January, that their 11th trip in nine years.
You may also want to watch:
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for more on this story.
Town’s confirmed pre-season matches so far include:
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 5 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 6 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 7 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 8 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 9 A12 closed following serious collision
- 10 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
– Shelbourne, Tolka Park, Dublin on Saturday, July 11 (3pm)
– Cambridge United, The Abbey Stadium on Tuesday, July 21 (7.45pm)
– Peterborough United, London Road, Saturday, July 25 (3pm)
– Colchester United, The Western Home Community Stadium, Tuesday, July 28 (7.45pm)