More semi-final heartache for Ipswich Town's U18s
- Credit: Ross Halls
Just three days after suffering FA Youth Cup heartache to Liverpool in one semi-final, Ipswich's U18s were beaten in another semi-final today.
It was in the Professional Development League Two play-off at Wigan - Adem Atay's young side lost 1-2 after extra-time.
Wigan, who finished top of PDL2 North, went ahead via Tom Costello in only the second minute.
The Blues, who finished second in PDL2 South, hit back four minutes after the break through Gerard Buabo.
The scoreline remained level at full-time but the Lancastrians won it in extra-time when Harry McHugh netted a 107th-minute penalty. Wigan will now play either Charlton or Birmingham City in the final.
Meanwhile, Town's U23s play Sheffield United away in their play-off semi-final on Monday.
U18s: Ridd, Cutbush, Stewart, Baggott, Armin, Alexander (c), Humphreys, Gibbs, Ward, Buabo, Bello. Subs: Bradshaw, Nwabueze, Chirewa, Agbaje, Jackson.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 6 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 7 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 8 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 9 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 10 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water