Is Downes set to be Jewell’s number two at Town?
WALLY Downes is close to joining Paul Jewell’s coaching staff at Ipswich Town, according to reports this morning.
The current West Ham coach could be set to join the new manager who officially starts his job tomorrow morning.
Downes, a former member of Wimbledon’s Crazy Gang, was on the bench during the Hammers’ 2-1 win against Birmingham in last night’s Carling Cup semi-final.
But amid continued speculation surrounding Grant’s job at Upton Park, Downes - a defensive-minded coach who worked under Steve Coppell at Reading - could be about to swap a Premier League relegation battle with one in the Championship.
Meanwhile, Paul Jewell is said to have been at London Road last night watching Peterborough’s 2-1 win against Brentford.
You may also want to watch:
While speculation at present, the likes of Peterborough’s George Boyd or Craig Mackail-Smith could be on his radar with left midfield and a forward problem areas for Town recently.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology