Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- Credit: Contributed/PA
Ipswich Town have announced that Suffolk music superstar Ed Sheeran will sponsor the club's shirts for 2021/22.
The logo which will be printed on the yet to be revealed men's and women's first team kits includes the symbols +, x and % - the titles of Sheeran's first three albums - as well as minus and equals symbols, above the word 'tour'.
Sheeran grew up in Framlingham, ended his record-breaking global Divide tour at Chantry Park in August 2019 and has watched several games at Portman Road in recent years.
The 30-year-old, who shared an image of himself in a 90s Ipswich shirt as a child with his 31.9m followers on Instagram, said in a press release: “The football club is a big part of the local community and this is my way of showing my support.
“I have always enjoyed my trips to Portman Road and I’m looking forward to going back there as soon as supporters are allowed into stadiums again.
“With the new owners from the US coming in, there are sure to be exciting times ahead for Ipswich fans, including myself. Hopefully we can stop being sloightly on the huh!
"But what does that logo on the front of the shirt mean? All will be revealed in time.”
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
- 3 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk second home owners could face Airbnb ban under crackdown
- 5 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 6 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 7 Ipswich Town appoint new Academy Manager
- 8 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 9 Project to keep Suffolk pub 'protected for years' turned down
- 10 Man found guilty of sex assaults on schoolgirl
Town’s director of sales, Rosie Richardson, said that the deal was struck before the club was taken over in April, the sum paid for the sponsorship was 'significant' and replied 'watch this space' when asked if there was potential for Sheeran to perform a gig at Portman Road.
Back in 2019, the club released a one-off club shirt with the Divide tour logo on the front which proved very popular. Pre-orders for the new home shirt are expected to start from early June.
Town’s deal with the Rank Group, the company behind online gambling firm Magical Vegas, expires this summer. The Magical Vegas logo replaced the Marcus Evans Group on Ipswich shirts for the 2018/19 and 2019/20 seasons, before Rank gifted the final year of their sponsorship deal to the Carers Trust charity.