Matchday Recap: Town secure Papa John's Trophy win
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town beat Gillingham 2-0 in the Papa John's Trophy this evening.
Town lost their first game in this competition this season, losing out to West Ham’s Under 21s last month, and sit bottom of the group as a result.
But victory tonight would mean the Blues, Gillingham, Colchester and the young Hammers would all sit on three points heading into the final round of matches. Town face Luke Chambers, Cole Skuse and Colchester United next month to round out Group I.
The top two teams in the group qualify so, if Paul Cook’s men are successful tonight, then it’s all to play for.
They could still qualify for the next round, even if they lose tonight and then beat Colchester and improve their goal difference, as long as Gillingham go on and beat West Ham on October 26.
Remember, too, that if the scores are level after 90 minutes of tonight’s 7pm kick-off, each side will get a point and then contest a penalty shootout to decide who gets a second.
You can follow the game live with us right here.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 4 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 5 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 6 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 7 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143