Ipswich Town U23s season ends with semi-final loss to Sheffield United
- Credit: www.stephenwaller.com
Ipswich Town Under-23s' season ended with a 4-0 defeat at Sheffield United this evening.
Having finished second in the Professional Development League Two South table, Kieron Dyer's men took on the winners of the northern league in the end of season play-offs.
Sadly, the semi-final tie was effectively over at half-time.
Andre Brooks intercepted a slack square pass to break the deadlock in the 25th minute, with Tyreece Simpson soon denied by a super save at the other end.
Will Osula subsequently bagged a 10-minute hat-trick leading up to the break, with the Blades having several chances to make the scoreline even more comprehensive after the restart.
It's been a disappointing end to successful seasons for Town's youth sides.
The Under-18s' superb run in the FA Youth Cup ended with a gallant 2-1 home loss to Liverpool last Wednesday.
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
- 3 Suffolk's first blue badge prosecution for Haverhill woman
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 6 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 7 Go-ahead given for 40 new homes in Suffolk village
- 8 Dobra signs for Cook's Chesterfield after Ipswich departure
- 9 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 10 Three Suffolk beaches named among 'most beautiful' in UK by Sunday Times
Three days later, Adem Atay's side went on to lose their end-of-season play-off semi-final (having also finished second in the table), going down 2-1 at Wigan after extra-time.
Town U23s: White, Andoh, Clements (cpt), Smith, Crane, Page, Healy, Chirewa, Ward, Simpson, Oppong.