James Alabi joins Grimsby Town on loan
Ipswich Town youngster James Alabi has joined National League side Grimbsy Town on loan until January 3.
The 21-year-old striker, released by Stoke City in the summer, has made one first-team appearance since joining the Blues – scoring in the 4-1 Capital One Cup victory at Doncaster Rovers.
Alabi, who signed a year-long deal at Portman Road, could make his Mariners debut against Kidderminster Harriers on Saturday. The Lincolnshire side are currently fourth in the table.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy said: “He’s nowhere near playing in the first team when you consider the quartet that we have (Freddie Sears, Dary Murphy, Brett Pitman and David McGoldrick), but he can be a real handful on his day because he’s big and his powerful and he’s very quick. I haven’t met a defender yet who likes playing against that.
“I know it’s the Conference, but he will benefit from playing at that level because there’s a crowd there, people are paying money and it’s not like the 21s where it’s all about development.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a physically tough league and you have to be a proper bloke to play in it.
“They’ve got a cup game on the TV coming up too (home to Shrewbury in the FA Cup), so I’m sure they did no harm in enticing him up there.”
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 8 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 9 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 10 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt