Jewell blasts players after Millwall defeat
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell blamed his side’s 4-1 defeat at Millwall on the fact that too many of his players were ‘doing their own thing’.
Jay Simpson and Darius Henderson netted rebound goals inside the opening nine minutes of the match before Town pulled one back through Jimmy Bullard around the hour mark.
Millwall quickly took them apart on the break though, killing the game off with another quickfire brace of strikes – Liam Feeney and Simpson the scorers.
“The way we conceded the goals was hugely disappointing. I think when you get back to 2-1 you expect us to maybe get something out the game, but we’re susceptible to the counter-attack and that was shown up today.
“First half it was two goals in five minutes and it was the same story in the second. The reasons for that is there are too many people doing their own thing.
You may also want to watch:
“When we’re attacking we’re not picking up. Take the second goal for example, the ball drops to him, there’s three of us round him but no-one gets on the front foot attacks the ball. For some reason we’re backing off.
“In that little run we had we were taking the game to the opposition, but today we were nowhere near them.”
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
Lee Bowyer and Ibrahima Sonko both limped off injured in the first half, with Jewell altering his system a number of times as a result.
“Lee Bowyer has nicked his hamstring, the same as Sonko,” confirmed Jewell. “That didn’t help us but we won’t be using that as an excuse.”
– See Monday’s EADT and Evening Star for full report.