Jewell delighted but keeping feet firmly on the ground
IPSWICH Town might have stormed to the top of the Championship – albeit after just one game of the new season.
But manager Paul Jewell is keeping everyone’s feet firmly on the ground after watching the Blues beat Bristol City 3-0 this afternoon in comprehensive fashion.
Speaking after the game, the Town boss said: “We are delighted, it is a great start for us but that is all it is.
“We are keeping our feet firmly on the ground. It was a terrific turnout of 1,700 fans which is great. It is a start of a very long and arduous season and we have got off to a good start.”
When asked what the secret of the opening day win was, Jewell replied: “I thought our system worked, the three midfield players worked, Chopra was always a threat.
You may also want to watch:
“I felt we were the best team for 20 minutes and then we scored the goal. But then, which has been a trait of ours over the last few years, we took a back seat and they came into the game a little bit.
“We sorted a few things out at half-time and then once the second goal went in, and then the third, it was game over.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 3 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
“As a manager, you are always looking for more but I am pleased with the effort, not just from the 11 who started, but the effort everyone has put in since we came back.”