JEWELL EXIT: DJ Campbell and Scott Loach have their say on PJ
IPSWICH Town players past and present have turned to twitter to express their views on Paul Jewell’s exit from Portman Road.
On-loan striker DJ Campbell, who scored in Jewell’s final game in charge – at home to Derby – tweeted: “Just heard the news & I just want 2 wish paul all the best in the future!! A good guy & a good manager.”
Meanwhile, goalkeeper, Scott Loach, who was dropped for the Blues’ final game under Jewell urged Town’s fans to keep the faith, insisting the longest-serving Championship club would not go down.
The ‘keeper said: “Laugh at us, abuse us, say whatever. Ipswich town will not get relegated! Watch this space!
Former striker David Johnson revealed the former Derby boss’ departure had come as no surprise to him and endorsed another former Rams manager, Billy Davies’ credentials.
“No real surprise that Paul jewel has left. He was never the right choice for Ipswich,” tweeted Johnson.
He added: “I would have to say that billy Davies would be a good choice he’s passionate about football and plays football the right way
- 1 Travellers pitch up at popular park in east Suffolk town
- 2 Suffolk villagers say 70 homes development creating 'dust storm'
- 3 Tributes paid to 'very nice couple' found dead at home
- 4 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 5 Keogh: Why I've joined Town and what I'm here to do
- 6 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 7 Woman in her 80s dies after being pulled from the sea
- 8 Man bitten by dog during fight in east Suffolk street
- 9 Here's what Town fans are saying about Keogh signing
- 10 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
“Every manager at #itfc have had funds and good backing from the board. So that would suit billy Davies. He just likes to be in control.”
Elsewhere, a former team-mate of Johnson, Matt Holland said: “Sad to see Paul Jewell leave #itfc. A good guy and a real shame it didn’t work out for him.”
Former Ipswich defender Alex Bruce, now at Hull, tweeted: “Shame to see Paul Jewell loose his job at Ipswich, great job for whoever goes in there and I hope he brings success to Portman Road!
Elsewhere, ex-Ipswich Town striker Alex Mathie spoke to the BBC about Jewell’s departure. He said: “It was a matter of time. He’s not had much luck but they’re conceding too many goals and not scoring enough. It makes sense to move on.
“The problem is who is Marcus Evans going to bring in? At this moment in time they’re looking at relegation so it’s a big concern who they bring in.
“The new manager is on a hiding to nothing. He’s either going to keep them up or they’re going to go down and have to rebuild again.
“It’s not a high profile club like it used to be. It’s on a downward spiral. Someone like Mick McCarthy would be ideal. Whether the job is big enough for him I don’t know.”