Jewell “expecting” Town to win
PAUL Jewell has admitted he is currently going into matches expecting Ipswich Town to win.
The confidence shown by the manager is a far cry from the start of the season when successive defeats by Hull City, Southampton and Peterborough United suggested a long campaign ahead.
But Jewell and his team have turned things around dramatically, going into tomorrow night’s match against Portsmouth on the back of a five-match unbeaten run.
And the manager admitted: “I’m enjoying watching the football at the moment. We have changed a few things around and now we’re going into games and I‘m actually expecting us to win.”
Although Jewell would prefer Town’s exploits to fall under the national radar, the Blues’ form – which has included a win over West Ham and decent points on the road at Middlesbrough and Cardiff City – has got everyone talking.
You may also want to watch:
And it is not for the first time this season after Town were tipped following their 3-0 opening-day win at Bristol City.
But Jewell said: “I remember us beating Bristol and hearing people call us ‘dark horses’. I’ve got to say, at that time I thought we were miles off.”
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks