Jewell: We were guilty of panic buying last summer
TOWN boss Paul Jewell has admitted he rushed into signing players last summer – suggesting he was swayed by big reputations.
On the week, he claimed Marcus Evans had made mistakes by “throwing money” at signings when he took over at Ipswich, Jewell, not for the first time, has also pointed the finger at himself.
As he enters the final year of his contract, it is Jewell’s ability to make the right signings that will make or break him.
And he goes into it admitting he has not always had the right recruitment policy.
He said: “Certainly last summer, we were just going after whoever was available. We weren’t patient enough – if someone came on the market, we would take him. Look at Ivar Ingimarsson, Lee Bowyer, Jimmy Bullard.
“Maybe we should sit back and have more of a plan. Target players earlier – which we have been – improve our scouting network both at home and abroad, to make it even wider, and hopefully we will have more of a choice of players to decide on.”
Town have again been linked with Paul Green, the midfielder Jewell signed when manager of Derby County but who has decided to leave the Rams on a free transfer this summer.
- 1 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 2 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 3 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 4 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 5 Fire crews spend eight hours tackling north Suffolk field blaze overnight
- 6 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 7 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 8 'It's a very exciting time for us' - Suffolk golf club plans submitted
- 9 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
- 10 5 fantastic village shops to visit in Suffolk
Green will play his final game for the Rams in tonight’s Derbyshire Senior Cup final against Buxton before a string of Championship clubs line up to entice him to their club.
Ipswich, Hull City, Leeds United and MIddlesbrough are all said to be interested in the 29-year-old free agent.