Keith Andrews hails tough but fantastic Euro 2012 draw
IPSWICH Town loan midfielder Keith Andrews has described the opportunity to play world and European champions Spain as well as Italy in the group stages of Euro 2012 as “fantastic”.
Andrews, who should skipper the Blues in tomorrow’s must-win match at home to Watford, admitted the draw for next summer’s tournament could have been kinder on the Republic of Ireland – with Croatia making up the quartet.
But Andrews said: “It is a tough draw. We said before privately we would have taken the host nations but we have drawn the world champions, the current holders, and to play a team like that will be fantastic.
“To pit yourself against a team like that is great but the draw could have been kinder, no doubt about it.”
David Stockdale, on a season-long loan from Fulham, will be hoping to impress with Town to keep his place in Fabio Capello’s England squad before the tournament in Poland and Ukraine.
You may also want to watch:
England were drawn against France, Ukraine and Sweden and could face the Irish in the last eight if both teams get through.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
- 10 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside