Kirton comes down on a colourful Ipswich Town career
One of the Blues’ last few remaining links to the Sir Bobby Robson era is lost today as long-serving stalwart Trevor Kirton takes his well-earned retirement.
The soon-to-be 65-year-old was coach driver and kit man during the halcyon days of the late 70s and early 80s before being promoted to the unsung role of stadium manager when the club was promoted to the Premier League in 2000.
Following more than 30 years’ valued service to the club – during which time he witnessed first hand European and FA Cup glory as well as managing major upgrades at Portman Road – the self-confessed ‘grump’ will be bid a fond farewell by current staff members ahead of tomorrow’s friendly at Colchester United.
“Few people in the history of our great club have made such a contribution to matters off the pitch as Trevor Kirton,” said Town chief executive Simon Clegg.
“During nearly 32 years’ service he has set the highest of standards in everything he has done while at the same time always striving to save the club money.
“I have the greatest possible respect on what he has achieved for the club and the way he has supported me since I arrived.”
He jokingly added: “While on occasions it must be said that he can make Victor Meldrew appear angelic, no-one can ever have had cause to question his motivation of doing the best for the club.
- 1 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 2 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 3 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 4 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 5 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 6 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 7 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
- 8 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 9 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 10 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
“He leaves a large hole in the organisation which I’m confident his successor will fill over time. He should always be welcomed back with open arms over what I hope will be a very long and happy retirement.”
– See today’s Ipswich Star for a full interview with Trevor Kirton in which he reflects on team bus etiquette during those halcyon days, as well as the potential Portman Road disasters which have been avoided.