MAN-OF-THE-MATCH POLL: Who was your pick of Ipswich Town’s players in Capital One Cup win over Bristol Rovers?
Ipswich v Bristol Rovers: The Blues have kick-started their 2012/13 campaign with a comprehensive victory over League Two side Bristol Rovers in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
Paul Jewell’s side responded superbly to Michael Smith’s long-range opener for the visitors, with goals from Jason Scotland, Tommy Smith and Aaron Cresswell sealing progress.
It was a reasonably comfortable evening for Town’s back five, while youngsters Luke Hyam and Massimo Luongo once again showed signs of blossoming partnership in central midfield.
Due to the absence of Jash Carson (international duty) and Andy Drury (calf injury), Lee Martin was switched to the left wing. He was a threat throughout with his direct running and crosses.
And striker Jason Scotland showed that he will still have a big role to play this season, taking his equaliser superbly and helping the team with his link-up play in a 4-4-2 system.
You may also want to watch:
The draw for second round is at 12.30pm on Wednesday, with a host of Premier League sides going into the hat.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 3 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock