MANAGER’S REACTION: Paul Jewell says his side must get better at defending set-pieces
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell knows his side have to improve upon defending set-pieces following today’s 2-0 pre-season friendly defeat at non-league side Luton Town.
Towering Hungarian defender Janos Kovacs was twice left unmarked to head home, first from a corner and then from a deep free-kick, while he also saw another header blocked on the line by Aaron Cresswell,
Jewell said: “I thought second half we were a lot better than we were first half, but it’s two goals conceded from set-pieces – and how many times did I say that last season?
“That’s what’s undone us really and I’m hoping to get people to do better in that part of the game.”
He continued: “We don’t like losing, but it’s all about training to be ready for three weeks’ today (Championship opener against Blackburn Rovers).
You may also want to watch:
“There were a lot of plus points. We’ve seen how Massimo can play, we passed the ball really well at times, we’ve forced their keeper into some really good saves and if we’d have scored second half I think we would have gone on to win the game.”
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season