Marcus Evans gives Ipswich Town manager Paul Jewell a vote of confidence – but fans’ faith is faltering
IPSWICH Town supporters’ faith in manager Paul Jewell is rapidly beginning to wane – but owner Marcus Evans remains firmly behind his man.
Just goal difference keeps the Blues out of the Championship relegation zone following six straight defeats, with Tuesday night’s 4-0 defeat at fellow strugglers Burnley a new low in terms of performance.
And it is the manner of that loss – rightly described as ‘gutless’ by an ashen-faced Jewell post-match – that has seen a dramatic shift in mood among the Town faithful.
Less than two weeks’ ago, immediately after the 3-2 defeat at Nottingham Forest, 69% of fans polled on the EADT website still believed Jewell was the man to take the club forward.
However, with over 700 fans asked the same question yesterday, 69% now say they no longer have faith in the Blues boss.
You may also want to watch:
Roy Keane was sacked soon after a six-game losing streak last season. However, Town chief executive Simon Clegg said last night that both he and owner Marcus Evans – currently away on business in the Far East – have no intention of dismissing a third manager in four years at this stage of the campaign.
“I’ve spoken to Marcus and both he and myself are confident that the manager will turn it around,” said Clegg. “He will continue to receive our full backing and support
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 6 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 7 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 8 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 9 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
- 10 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
“We’re on a poor run at the moment and, believe me, it is hurting everyone at the club, but let’s put this into context – we are not even halfway through the season.
“We’ve already seen some ridiculously short managerial spells this season, but this club has a tradition of backing managers and giving them time to achieve their aspirations.”
Not all Town fans have turned against Jewell, with 38% of those polled insisting that he has been let down by by his players – 14 of whom he signed this season.
And with the majority of supporters (61%) saying that they will be at Portman Road on Saturday for the visit of bogey side Watford – dampening the prospect of a stay away boycott – Clegg has called upon them to get behind the team at such a difficult time.
He said: “I really want to encourage people to get behind the manager and the team on Saturday and help them get out of this run.”
– Missed yesterday’s live webchat? See the result of polls and read what was said here – http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/live-webchat
– Fans have their say – three pages of views in today’s EADT.