MATCH REPORT: Peterborough United 0 Ipswich Town 0
Peterborough v Ipswich: TWO top saves from Peterborough United keeper Bobby Olejnik prevented a dominant Ipswich Town taking all three points at London Road.
After weathering an early storm, the Blues were the better side.
Frank Nouble smacked the post with a superb effort from 25-yards in the 26th minute, while the striker – making his full debut for the Blues – forced a smart low stop out of Olejnik soon afterwards, having raced past Michael Bostwick into the area.
Olejnik then produced an even better save in the 52nd minute, leaping acrobatically to claw David McGoldrick’s goalbound header out of the top corner.
Posh finally produced their first shot on target on the hour mark when Tommy Rowe’s stinging shot was pushed away by Stephen Henderson.
Ex-Town loanee Tyrone Barnett – who came off the bench – wasted the hosts’ best chance when he put a free header over the bar in the 75th minute.
This was Peterborough’s first goalless draw in 153 matches – their last having come against Ipswich, at Portman Road, in December 2009.
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
- 3 Suffolk's first blue badge prosecution for Haverhill woman
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 6 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 7 Go-ahead given for 40 new homes in Suffolk village
- 8 Dobra signs for Cook's Chesterfield after Ipswich departure
- 9 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 10 Three Suffolk beaches named among 'most beautiful' in UK by Sunday Times
Sheffield Wednesday’s win against Leicester sees Town drop a place in the table to 20th, though they remain four points above the Championship relegation zone with nine games to play.
PETERBOROUGH UNITED: Olejnik; Little, Zakuani, Bostwick, Rowe (cpt); Mendez-Laing (Newell 67), McCann (Barnett 67), Payne, Swanson (Nthle 67); Tomlin, Gayle.
Subs: Day, Alcock, Brisley, Ferdinand.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Henderson; Hewitt, Chambers (cpt), Smith, Cresswell; Drury (Emmanuel-Thomas 81), N’Daw, Hyam, Tabb; Nouble (Mclean 67), McGoldrick.
Subs: Loach, Kisnorbo, Mings, Edwards, Murphy.
Referee: J Linington