Mick McCarthy hopes he’s answered critics who thought he was ‘old news’
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town boss Mick McCarthy hopes he has proved a few critics wrong by masterminding a spectacular turnaround at Portman Road.
Controversially sacked by Wolves in February 2012, the 54-year-old spent nine months out of the game – the longest he had ever not been employed as a player or manager – before accepting the challenge of keeping up an Ipswich side who were rock-bottom of the Championship with just seven points from 13 games.
That goal has been achieved heading into this lunchtime’s season-finale at Burnley (12.45pm ko) thanks to an incredible return of 57 points from 32 matches – form that would put the Blues fifth in the table.
Reflecting on his time out of the game, McCarthy said: “It’s not a nice feeling getting the sack you know. I didn’t doubt myself, but I got the distinct impression that there were one or two who thought I was old news. Maybe they thought I was a little bit tired for some reason because everybody seems to want someone young and up-and-coming.
“Lots of jobs came and went, but I never doubted myself that I could do it still.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to think that anybody who did doubt me has had that pushed to one side after I’ve come here when we had seven points and we now have 60 with one to play.”
He continued: “Yes I would like another chance in the Premier League. I’d like to do that here though, I’m not looking for anything else because I’m enjoying it.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 3 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
“I’ve just been saying how some people were thinking I was old news so I’m not sure I’ve gained that much kudos over the last six months that people will be after me.”
– For live updates from Turf Moor, follow @Stuart_Watson and @ChrisBramms.