More chance of signing Messi than Bullard!
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell has joked that he would probably have more chance of signing Lionel Messi than Jimmy Bullard.
The Hull City midfielder, who enjoyed a superb end-of-season loan spell at Portman Road, has been suspended by his employers following a ‘breach of discipline’ on the club’s pre-season trip to Slovenia.
It has sparked speculation that Town might try and get the charismatic playmaker back, but Jewell reiterated that his reported wages of �45,000-a-week continue to prevent a deal.
“I’ve spoken to Adam Pearson (Hull’s head of football operations) a number of times over the summer and spoken to Jimmy too,” said Jewell.
“I’d loved to have done something, but financially it is out of our remit. I’d like to have Lionel Messi here but I don’t think we can afford him. I think Jimmy might actually be on a little bit more than Messi to be honest!
You may also want to watch:
“We appreciate that they helped us out last year, understandably they want to get Jimmy off their wages, but their not willing to do a do a deal which would suit us financially so we have to move on.”
– For all the latest Ipswich Town news, see tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash