Neighbour Westlake is an inspiration
IF TOM Eastman makes the grade with Ipswich Town it will mark a remarkable coincidence.The 16-year-old, who has just been offered a two-year scholarship with the Blues, lives just two doors from Ian Westlake's family in Clacton.
IF TOM Eastman makes the grade with Ipswich Town it will mark a remarkable coincidence.
The 16-year-old, who has just been offered a two-year scholarship with the Blues, lives just two doors from Ian Westlake's family in Clacton.
And Eastman attends the same school as Westlake (pictured above) did - Clacton County High School - and like 'Westy' used to be a member of Clacton Swimming Club.
Westlake moved to Leeds United in the summer of 2006 for a reported £300,000 plus Dan Harding, and central defender Eastman admits that he has been inspired by his friend.
“Ian's an inspiration in terms of what happened to him and where his career has taken him,” said Eastman.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 5 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 8 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 'Rare' home of former socialite and artist goes up for sale for £1.5m
“Hopefully I can follow in his footsteps.
“Finding out about the scholarship was great news and very exciting.
“I've been with Ipswich since I was seven and progressed through the various teams at the academy.”
Westlake made 133 appearances for Ipswich, scoring 19 goals before his switch to Elland Road.