New book on Ipswich Town recalls Town fans’ favourite games
- Credit: Archant
A new book about Ipswich Town, called ‘My Favourite Game’, is on sale now, with proceeds going to charity.
It’s a compilation of games, written by 13 fans of the club – all very different.
From the sublime, when Ipswich beat Bolton in the 2000 play-off semi-finals, to a near riot at Millwall in 1978, and including classic games against Norwich and Sheffield United, this book displays that it’s not the greatest victories as a football club that stay in fans’ hearts, but other values, less tangible than silverware: love, family, friendship and sport.
The contributors to this book are Ipswich Town fans, many making their debut into print.
Seán Salter writes about the ‘Bryan Gunn’ derby match in 1996; Stuart Hellingsworth on the great comeback against Neil Warnock’s Sheffield United in 2003; Sarah Rogers on a classic Bobby Robson team’s 4-0 defeat of Everton in 1980; Alasdair Ross on a troubled FA Cup fixture at Chelmsford in 1973; Emma Corlett remembers a trip to play Foggia in the Anglo-Italian Cup; Grant Bage writes about the notorious 1978 game against Millwall; Gavin Barber on the infamous play-off semi-final against Bolton Wanderers in 2000; Rob Freeman on ITFC vs Newcastle in 1992; Susan Gardiner on beating Inter Milan at Portman Road;, Hannah Sibley on Watford away in 2015, Chris Rand on the meaningless last home game of the season (against Crewe); Stephen Moore on a play-off match at Bramall Lane in 1997; and Adam Green explains how a Norwich City fan went with the Blue Army to watch them play Torpedo Moscow in the UEFA Cup.
It’s available in bookshops and online booksellers.
All proceeds made from sales will be donated to the charity EACH.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 4 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 5 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 6 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 7 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 8 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 9 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 10 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
My Favourite Game, published by Electric Blue Publishing, £10