New keeper Scott Loach has huge potential says Paul Jewell
PAUL Jewell has insisted that Scott Loach was his number one goalkeeping target “for a while”.
The Blues boss identified the need for a new keeper at the end of last season and remained calm in the ensuing weeks and months – despite the panic that spread among supporters as the summer ticked away.
After missing out on top target Tomasz Kuszczak who joined Brighton and also Brad Guzan who eventually signed a new deal at Aston Villa, Jewell is delighted with his capture of Scott Loach for a bargain �150,000.
The Town manager said: “He is a player who when I first came to Ipswich, I tried to get then. But he was a player who we couldn’t afford.
“But now we are delighted to have him. He is someone who has huge potential who has played for England Under-21s and has had a lot of games for Watford.”
You may also want to watch:
Loach, a Town fan from childhood, yesterday completed his dream move to Ipswich on a three-year deal, potentially rising to four.
Jewell said: “It has been going for a while. We think we have secured a really good goalie.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 Warnock on Town target Coulson's absence from Middlesbrough squad
“We have had to wait and there has been a lot of speculation about other players, but he was our number one target for a while.
“We thought this summer might be our chance to get him and we were proved right. We think we have got a really good deal.
“I know he used to be in the academy and he is an Ipswich Town fan, he is delighted to be here and we are pleased to have him.
“He will be looking forward to starting training with the lads on Monday.”
– See today’s Ipswich Star and EADT for more on Town’s new keeper