No future for players if we keep giving goals away - Town star
IPSWICH TOWN: If the Blues keep handing opposition goals there will not be a future in the game for some of the current squad.
So says experienced defender Mark Kennedy, who captained the side in Saturday’s 3-1 home defeat by Barnsley.
“We’re capable of winning games,” said Kennedy.
“But if we keep giving teams opportunities like we did on Saturday there will be not a lot of future in football for some of us.”
And Kennedy says that using eight players against Barnsley in their teens or early twenties is no excuse.
“We’ve got a cracking bunch of young lads at this club, and I’ve been around long enough to know a player who hasn’t got what it takes to make the grade,” added Kennedy.
“I see them every day in training and they’ve all got every chance and they will learn from Saturday.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 4 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 5 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 6 Driver arrested for being four times over legal limit
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow
- 9 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 10 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking
“It’s only papering over the cracks to use youngsters as an excuse - it’s up to senior pros like me to take the pressure off them and help them out by taking responsibility.
“We have an honest bunch of lads and after the win at Sheffield United we were in a good position, but then threw two games away like we have.
“It’s hard to swallow, and must be particularly hard to swallow for the manager.
“The only consolation is that we are still only two points off the play-offs and that teams are not holding us up like I’ve seen Arsenal do to sides.
“We’ve still got plenty to play for, but must stop giving points away.
“If we can knock that on the head we can definitely achieve something.
“Plenty of other teams lose senior players and cope.
“We are good enough for this league and for the play-offs.”