No official approaches for Town stars
REST assured Ipswich fans, Town's top players are not being pursued by Premier League clubs - just yet.With Stoke being the latest club to be linked with wanting Jon Walters, Blues chief executive Derek Bowden allayed fears by revealing there had been no approaches.
REST assured Ipswich fans, Town's top players are not being pursued by premier league clubs - just yet.
With Stoke being the latest club to be linked with wanting Jon Walters, Blues chief executive Derek Bowden allayed fears by revealing there had been no approaches.
Although Portsmouth are known to be keen on Danny Haynes, and West Ham, Wigan and Everton linked with Owen Garvan, Town are confident they will all be playing at Portman Road on the opening day of next season.
Bowden said: “We have had no offers for contracted players and we are not inviting any either.”
Of course if an offer were received Town would consider it but the Blues are in a strong negotiating position and would sell strictly on their own terms.
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 Gang who stole from Suffolk museum jailed for total of 74 years
- 5 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 6 Suspected speeder detained after car crashes into field
- 7 'Bonne Mania' made us all smile... it faded but we'll always have the memories
- 8 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 9 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 10 See inside this 'chocolate box' cottage up for sale for £435,000
They have tied both Walters and Haynes on three year deals signed earlier this year and Garvan still has one year left on his current contract.
The young Irishman has said he is willing to sit down with manager Jim Magilton when they both return from holiday and discuss his future.
Just as there has been no firm movement for any players Town don't want to sell, nor has there been a serious attempt to take any of those out of contract or listed.
Brighton are known to be seen on Matt Richards who has year left on his Blues contract, while Accrington Stanley have said they would like Gary Roberts but have failed to act on their words, while Gavin Williams has a couple of suitors.
Bowden said: “There is limited interest at the moment. We have seen a bit of interest in one or two players who are on the list but nothing concrete.”
The search for new players carries on unabated although some of the players linked with Town are being discounted.
Emile Mpenza is no longer on the Town wish list, while keeper Thomas Sorensen has also slipped off the radar.
Town are watching the Kevin Phillips situation closely and could make a move if it becomes clear he is not staying at West Brom.
Fulham keeper Antti Niemi is another Premier League player that the Blues are monitoring as they look to bring in a new custodian.
Bringing in a defender, or two, remains a priority, but Blackpool's Kaspar Gorkss is not a target.