Paul Jewell: ‘I’ve still got 100 per cent backing from Marcus Evans’
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell says he retains ‘100 per cent’ backing from owner Marcus Evans ahead of tomorrow night’s visit of his former club Derby County to Portman Road.
Following Saturday’s limp 2-1 defeat at Hull City – a result which means Town have gone 10 games without victory – the Blues boss said he would go away and consider whether he was ‘the right man to take the club forward’.
However, following a night with his family in Leeds and a long chat with Evans yesterday, Jewell has decided to battle on.
“I had another restless night on Saturday and then spoke to Marcus Evans on Sunday afternoon about the situation,” Jewell told the club website.
“We had a good chat and, yet again, he gave me his 100 per cent backing. I couldn’t really ask for more support from the owner to be honest.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve had text messages of support from the players as well, from other managers and from players that have played for this club – even some I have let go!
“That has meant a lot to me. I’ve spoken to the coaching staff and we’re now preparing for what is obviously a very important game on Tuesday against Derby.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
“I said a few things after Saturday’s game, perhaps in the heat of the moment, but it’s clear that results on the pitch have not been good enough. I can only continue to do my best for this football club to turn things around. That has to happen very quickly though.”
– Jewell is set to speak to the media at a press conference this lunchtime. For all the latest, keep an eye on this website.