Paul Jewell keeping tight-lipped on Steve Davies rumours
IPSWICH Town are in the hunt for another striker.
But Paul Jewell last night declined to confirm whether the new forward will be Derby County’s Steve Davies.
The 24-year-old has been targeted by Ipswich this summer but a fee with the Rams remains a sticking point.
Speaking last night, Jewell said: “Steven Davies is a player I signed from Tranmere for Derby. I think he is a good player. But there are a number of good players. I don’t really want to talk about speculation.”
Reports in Derby suggest the Rams are looking for a fee close to �1 million for Davies, who is out of contract next season.
You may also want to watch:
But we understand Jewell is looking at something like half that figure and is unlikely to spend seven figures on any one player this summer.
Davies rejected a new deal with Derby at the end of last season, citing “family reasons” for his decision not to resign.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 6 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 7 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 8 Woman dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 9 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 10 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
Jewell last night reaffirmed his desire for a new frontman as well as a goalkeeper – believed to be Watford’s Scott Loach – and two more players, though he still might enter the loan market before the season starts as well.
He added: “We know we are three or four players light of a squad that is going to be competitive. We haven’t brought in as many players as we would like, but that will be changing.”