Paul Jewell not convinced goalline technology is the answer
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell has questioned whether goalline technology is the best way to rectify controversial incidents.
Chelsea’s ‘ghost goal’ against Tottenham in yesterday’s FA Cup semi-final has thrust the controversy back into the limelight and the game’s law-makers will decide on July 2 whether to approve two systems following final tests.
But Jewell has his doubts, claiming the technology would do nothing to solve debatable offside decisions like the ones seen recently involving Ashley Young and Branislav Ivanovic.
Instead Jewell has reiterated his calls for managers to be given two chances a half to challenge a referee’s decision during a match.
He explained: “The most important thing is getting to the right decision. I would prefer to give managers to calls a half – like in cricket.
“It might be said that it would take too long, but by the time the referee would have had to book players because they are arguing over a decision, they could find out whether it was correct.
“It wouldn’t have stopped any play, they would have looked at the video and we would have got to the right decision – the players and fans would be happy.
- 1 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 2 Landlord fined £23k over 'dangerous' electrics and broken toilets at homes
- 3 West Suffolk pig farmer reluctantly decides to sell herd after torrid year
- 4 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 5 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 6 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 7 Red Arrows set to soar over Suffolk this weekend
- 8 A-Level results: Joy for students across Suffolk
- 9 Fire at waste centre near Ipswich believed to have been started by battery
- 10 'Delight' as Farlingaye students achieve 99% pass rate
“I don’t understand why we can’t do that. Referees are not going to get every decision right, but I think they would be happy as it takes a lot of pressure off them.”
Jewell’s comments come after it was revealed that any new goalline technology might be restricted to Premier League matches only.
- Do you agree with the Town boss? Let us know your thoughts below