Paul Jewell praises academy player of the year Gunnar Thorsteinsson
HE has ended the season with two young player of the year trophies.
But don’t expect 18-year-old defender-cum-midfielder Gunnar Thorsteinsson to be knocking on the first team door just yet.
The Icelandic international earned the praise of Paul Jewell after winning the Dale Roberts Trophy for the Academy Player of the Year at the recent Official Ipswich Town Supporters Club event.
He followed that up by being named young player of the season at the club’s own end-of-season dinner.
And Jewell said: “He has done well. He is a terrific professional – he lives, eats and breathes football.
You may also want to watch:
“I had a word with him and said you can almost become too intense. He has a fantastic attitude, not just playing but with everything.
“He won the awards because the whole package is taken into consideration – it is a credit to him and his family that he won it.”
- 1 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 2 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
But when asked whether Thorsteinsson was starting to come into his first team plans, Jewell replied: “He’s not ready for the first team squad.”