Paul Jewell supports Roy Hodgson but blasts Football Association chiefs
PAUL Jewell has branded the FA’s decision to appoint a new England boss just five weeks before the start of the European Championships as “ridiculous”.
But the Town boss has given his backing to Roy Hodgson after the West Brom manager was chosen as Fabio Capello’s successor.
Jewell said: “I think we have to give the guy a chance. He has been around. He has been an international manager and he has managed Inter Milan and Liverpool so he has good pedigree.
“He may not be as ‘sexy’ as some people want but he is a football man through-and-through. I have huge respect for him and I wish him well.
“I don’t know him well but he clearly loves football and I like listening to him. I know players at Blackburn who said he was ahead of his time.
You may also want to watch:
“He is obviously very intelligent and the England team certainly won’t lack for knowledge.”
But Jewell was less praiseworthy over the timing of the appointment with England kicking off their European Championships campaign against France on June 8.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
He said: “I think it is ridiculous to have left appointing a manager for a major championships so late.”