Paul Jewell will face battle from Hull City for Brad Guzan signature
PAUL Jewell is set to lock horns with another Championship manager as he bids to make it fourth time lucky in his attempts to secure another summer signing.
Days after missing out on top goalkeeping target Tomasz Kuszczak – the 30-year-old former Manchester United keeper joining Brighton – the Ipswich manager is likely to turn his attentions to free agent Brad Guzan.
But it has emerged that he faces a battle from new Hull City manager Steve Bruce for the signature of the ex-Aston Villa stopper.
Jewell sounded out the US keeper last season for a loan deal to Portman Road, with a view to a permanent move.
Now it seems likely he will urge Guzan, who left Villa at the end of the season, to be his number one keeper and allay some of the fears growing among the Town faithful.
Town targets Jason Pearce, Joel Ward and Kuszczak have all joined divisional rivals and Jewell will have to use his powers of persuasion to encourage Guzan he is better served at Ipswich than Hull.
But the 27-year-old might favour a return to East Yorkshire after a three-month, 16-game, loan spell at the KC Stadium in 2010/11.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 4 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
- 7 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 8 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 9 North Stander: The early signs are very positive for Town
- 10 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
While Town fans might be concerned about their own goalkeeping situation – currently Arran Lee-Barrett is the only one on the books – Hull have NONE of the three stoppers they had last season.
Vito Mannone, Adrian Basso and Peter Gulacsi have all left, or are leaving, for one reason or another with Arsenal man Mannone wanting to return, but Hull balking at the Gunners’ �1 million asking price.
It is understood Guzan is currently in America considering his options after finishing another frustrating club season by being involved with the US squad.