PICTURE GALLERY: Ipswich Town start their new season with a satisfying draw against Blackburn
Ipswich v Blackburn: PAUL Jewell’s young guns have started their new Championship season with a satisfying 1-1 home draw with newly-relegated Blackburn Rovers.
The Blues – who had six players aged 22 or younger in their starting line-up – showed far more attacking intent than their experienced visitors throughout.
And while a vulnerability at set-pieces once again reared its head when Colin Kazim-Richards opened the scoring from a 21st minute corner, Town stuck to their task in searing heat.
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Luke Chambers both made a mess of gilt-edged chances in the second half, but the leveller finally arrived eight minutes from time.
Town’s man-of-the-match Luke Hyam provided a neat chip over the top, with substitute Jason Scotland – who gave the hosts a much-needed presence up front when he came on – pulling the ball back and forcing defender Jason Lowe to turn the ball into his own net.
You may also want to watch:
– Click the links on the top right of this page for a gallery of pictures from the match.
– For match analysis and reaction, see Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 7 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 10 Plans for new 'ambitious' housing development moves forward