Pitch and stadium inspection due for 9am
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town will conduct a pitch and stadium inspection at 9am tomorrow morning to determine whether their Championship match against Barnsley at Portman Road can go ahead.
The playing surface has been well protected by a protective hot-air tent all week, but there are concerns that significant snowfall tonight would leave the stadium and surrounding areas unsafe for supporters.
A statement on the club website reads: “Referee Nigel Miller will be taking a look at the Portman Road surface and warm-up areas as early as possible once the pitch covers have been removed at 9am. The stadium and access areas will also be checked for safety purposes before a decision is made on whether the game can go ahead.
“Much will depend on how much snow falls overnight but the club have a 10-strong emergency staff working through the night to help get the game on.
“Club office staff worked for three hours this morning to help the groundstaff shift the overnight snow, which has been stacked in the front of the Cobbold and Co-op stands.
You may also want to watch:
“Supporters in the lower tier of the Cobbold Stand will be upgraded to the upper tier should the game go ahead. They should access through their normal turnstiles and will be issued with new tickets at that point.
“Only the first few rows at the front will be affected in the lower Co-op Stand. Supporters in this area should check with stewards as they enter the stand and those sitting in the ‘snow covered seats’ will be allocated new seats in the upper tier.”
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 5 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 8 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 9 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
All fans are advised to check with the official club website (www.itfc.co.uk) and Twitter account (@Official_ITFC) tomorrow morning for the latest information.