PLAYER REACTION: ‘We looked like the Premier League side,’ says Ipswich Town defender Tommy Smith
Ipswich v West Ham: Tommy Smith was delighted to back in the Ipswich Town fold today following his Olympic exploits for New Zealand this summer.
The 22-year-old – who has just lined up against Brazil, Belarus and Egypt in the sporting showpiece – played the first hour of the Blues’ impressive 3-1 victory over Premier League side West Ham.
Lee Martin also made his first start of pre-season following a thigh injury, with a youthful Town outfit significantly improving following disappointing defeats to lower league Luton and Southend.
“I think first-half especially we played some lovely football and at times it may have looked like we were the Premier League side to the fans,” said Smith.
“I would have liked to have been around the squad throughout the whole pre-season, but playing for my country in the Olympics is something I’m very proud to have done.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s just great to be back in with the lads and getting to know the new boys in the squad too.
“It’s always nice to win games and play well, but it’s mainly about getting the fitness levels right in pre-season.”
- 1 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 5 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 6 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 7 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 8 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 9 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 10 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
– For full interview, see Monday’s EADT.