PLAYER REACTION: ‘We looked like the Premier League side,’ says Ipswich Town defender Tommy Smith
Ipswich v West Ham: Tommy Smith was delighted to back in the Ipswich Town fold today following his Olympic exploits for New Zealand this summer.
The 22-year-old – who has just lined up against Brazil, Belarus and Egypt in the sporting showpiece – played the first hour of the Blues’ impressive 3-1 victory over Premier League side West Ham.
Lee Martin also made his first start of pre-season following a thigh injury, with a youthful Town outfit significantly improving following disappointing defeats to lower league Luton and Southend.
“I think first-half especially we played some lovely football and at times it may have looked like we were the Premier League side to the fans,” said Smith.
“I would have liked to have been around the squad throughout the whole pre-season, but playing for my country in the Olympics is something I’m very proud to have done.
“It’s just great to be back in with the lads and getting to know the new boys in the squad too.
“It’s always nice to win games and play well, but it’s mainly about getting the fitness levels right in pre-season.”
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 2 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 3 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 4 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 5 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 6 Road closed as emergency services called to single-vehicle crash
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory over MK Dons
- 8 Man suffers head injuries after being 'seriously' assaulted by 'several' men
- 9 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 10 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
– For full interview, see Monday’s EADT.