POLL: Homegrown or loan? Ibrahima Sonko and David Stockdale disagree – but what do you think?
TWO former Ipswich Town players are in disagreement about the influx of loan players at Portman Road.
With Tyrone Barnett becoming the 10th borrowed player of the campaign this week, Ibrahima Sonko echoed the fears of numerous supporters on social networking website Twitter.
The centre-back – now at Turkish top-flight side Akhisar Belediyespor following his release by Town this summer – said: “Too many players on loan at Ipswich. When a player belongs to a club they care more. Give a chance to the young ones like (Luke) Hyam and (Josh) Carson – they love the club and will die for it.”
Recent Blues loanee Richie Wellens said that it was the players contracted to the club that ‘didn’t care enough about losing’ during his time in Suffolk.
And David Stockdale – who played 18 games on loan at Ipswich last season – agrees that the attitude of loan players’ shouldn’t be called into question.
You may also want to watch:
“If you think about it logically, players are sent out on loan because they are not playing,” said the Fulham keeper, speaking exclusively to the EADT and Ipswich Star. “It would be to their detriment if they didn’t play well.
“Keith Andrews came to Ipswich wanting to go to the European Championships with Ireland, Danny Collins was hoping to get a new contract – all loan players have their own agendas and to achieve them they have to play well. It wouldn’t be in their interests to not try.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 2 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 3 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 4 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 5 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 6 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 7 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 8 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 9 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
- 10 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
“I can’t say I’ve ever played alongside a single loan player who has not tried or not cared about losing. Some of them might not work out, but the same can be said of permanent signings too.”
– What do you think? Post your comments below or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org