POLL: Ipswich Town fans want to see midfield reinforcements
- Credit: Archant
Forget the defence, it’s the midfield you need to strengthen.
That’s the message from Ipswich Town fans to manager Mick McCarthy as the Blues continue to be linked with a number of defensive reinforcements.
Town have just Tyrone Mings as back-up to their first choice back four (Luke Chambers, Christophe Berra, Tommy Smith and Aaron Cresswell), with Elliott Hewitt and Freddie Veseli out on loan at Gillingham and Bury respectively.
It’s understood that former Blues player Titus Bramble – a free agent – is on a lengthy list of players that have been highlighted as potential additions, with the likes of John Brayford (right-back at Cardiff), Daniel Gabbidon (centre-back at Crystal Palace) and Chris Baird (free agent, centre-back/right-back) all linked in the national media this week.
It’s a lack of midfield creativity and flair which appears to be concerning supporters though following three successive defeats. During Monday’s live webchat, when asked which area of the team needed strengthening the most an overwhelming majority of 74% said ‘midfield’.
Indeed, ‘defence’ is currently last (6%), behind both ‘strikers’ (8%) and keeper (12%). More than 600 votes have been cast and you can still vote by clicking here and then going to the second page.
With Blues midfielder Luke Hyam set to miss at least the next three games with the bad cut he sustained to his leg during last weekend’s 1-0 defeat at Millwall, McCarthy’s central midfield options have been reduced to Cole Skuse, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Jay Tabb and Anthony Wordsworth.
Out-and-out wide players in the squad are Paul Anderson, Carlos Edwards and Stephen Hunt, with Tabb and Tunnicliffe also capable of playing on the left.
- 1 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 2 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 10 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
Up front, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake is still recovering from the hamstring injury he sustained on his Blues debut at the start of the month, leaving David McGoldrick, Daryl Murphy, Paul Taylor, Frank Nouble and Alan Lee to compete for places.
Ipswich have just 19 first team players fit at present, with McCarthy having used the fewest players in the Championship so far this season (23, the highest being 34).
It’s understood that McCarthy, who was spotted at an Under-21 fixture between Crystal Palace and Bristol City last night, is meeting owner Marcus Evans this week to discuss transfers.