Portsmouth bid for Leadbitter rejected
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell says he has rejected a bid from Portsmouth for skipper Grant Leadbitter over the weekend – but refused to rule out selling his midfielder before the end of the transfer window.
Leadbitter told the EADT after Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat to Hull that he was happy at the club and ready to sit down and discuss a new contract with Jewell this week.
The midfielder – who is in the final year of his contract – wasn’t aware of a bid at that stage though.
“We’ve turned down an offer from Portsmouth and Grant knows that,” said Jewell.
“We will make him an offer of a new contract and we want him to stay at the club for years to come, but if that offer isn’t acceptable to him then we’ll have do something about it.
You may also want to watch:
“If he is not particularly enamoured with our offer then we would have to look to sell him because we don’t want a repeat of what’s just happened with David Norris and Gareth McAuley (both left on Bosman free transfers to Portsmouth and West Brom respectively this summer at the end of their contracts).
“We certainly don’t want to sell him though and he seems happy, so we’ll see how talks go.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 10 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
“We’ve had honest conversations and he knows I don’t want another Chuck (Norris) and McAuley situation.
“He’s getting married in the summer so he obviously wants to get his future sorted out too.
“As I say, he seems happy here, but maybe he’s got Chuck (Norris) blowing in his ear? I don’t know.
““He’s a good player, a good passer of the ball, and I’m not surprised that Portsmouth are interested. In fact, I’m surprised no-one else has been in for him.”
The Liverpudlian, who admitted the search still goes on for a centre-back, continued: “I don’t even know how much the bid is to be honest, it certainly isn’t mind blowing otherwise I’d have heard about it.
“I want to get this sorted out soon because once the window passes and you get to January it becomes difficult to keep players that are heading towards the end of their contracts because they are then open to other offers.”
– Keep an eye on this website throughout the day for all the latest Ipswich Town news.