Powell could figure for Rams
DARREN Powell completed his two-month loan move to Derby County and will figure in their squad at Ipswich Town today.
DARREN Powell completed his two-month loan move to Derby County and will figure in their squad at Ipwich Town today.
Although Lewin Nyatanga and Claude Davis are expected to keep their places in the heart of defence, Jewell has no qualms about using the former Crystal Palace and Southampton defender Powell if needed at Portman Road.
Jewell said: “Obviously he is not match fit and there would be concerns but if anything happens to the two centre-halves (Davis and Nyatanga) or they are a bit tired after international duty, we would put Darren in and hope his experience gets him through.”
Nyatanga and Davis both played 90 minutes for their countries this week.
Nyatanga featured as Wales won in Denmark and Davis helped Jamaica to victory over Canada in a World Cup qualifier in Kingston. Despite winning, the Reggae Boyz missed out on a place in the next stage of qualification on goal difference. Honduras and Mexico filled the top two places in the group.
They will have keeper Roy Carroll behind them, although Stephen Bywater who spent a loan period with Town, is pushing for a recall, while ex Town stopper Lewis Price has slipped down to third choice.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 9 Inquest opened into human remains found by Suffolk river
- 10 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
Kris Commons and Mile Sterjovski have also been away on international duty and Jewell admits it is not ideal preparation for this game.
Only goal difference splits Derby and Ipswich who have lost only two of their last 13 league games.
Jewell said: “Ipswich are formidable on their day, a good side with some good players and it will be a tough game.
“But it is a game we are looking forward to because we are competitive now. We may not be the best team in the world but we give everybody a game and we are getting better as each game goes by.
“The players are getting more and more confident and you can feel the group growing together, which as a manager and a coach is really pleasing.
“That is why we want to bring in some more players, just to help the group along. I think with a bit more help and competition around the team, we can do even better.
The Rams boss plans to fly straight from today's game to Dublin for tomorrow's FAI Cup finals where he is looking at a couple of possible signings.
County have already made a move to sign Galway United forward Jay O'Shea in the January window.