Powell could figure for Rams
DARREN Powell completed his two-month loan move to Derby County and will figure in their squad at Ipswich Town today.
DARREN Powell completed his two-month loan move to Derby County and will figure in their squad at Ipwich Town today.
Although Lewin Nyatanga and Claude Davis are expected to keep their places in the heart of defence, Jewell has no qualms about using the former Crystal Palace and Southampton defender Powell if needed at Portman Road.
Jewell said: “Obviously he is not match fit and there would be concerns but if anything happens to the two centre-halves (Davis and Nyatanga) or they are a bit tired after international duty, we would put Darren in and hope his experience gets him through.”
Nyatanga and Davis both played 90 minutes for their countries this week.
You may also want to watch:
Nyatanga featured as Wales won in Denmark and Davis helped Jamaica to victory over Canada in a World Cup qualifier in Kingston. Despite winning, the Reggae Boyz missed out on a place in the next stage of qualification on goal difference. Honduras and Mexico filled the top two places in the group.
They will have keeper Roy Carroll behind them, although Stephen Bywater who spent a loan period with Town, is pushing for a recall, while ex Town stopper Lewis Price has slipped down to third choice.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 7 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 8 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 9 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 10 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
Kris Commons and Mile Sterjovski have also been away on international duty and Jewell admits it is not ideal preparation for this game.
Only goal difference splits Derby and Ipswich who have lost only two of their last 13 league games.
Jewell said: “Ipswich are formidable on their day, a good side with some good players and it will be a tough game.
“But it is a game we are looking forward to because we are competitive now. We may not be the best team in the world but we give everybody a game and we are getting better as each game goes by.
“The players are getting more and more confident and you can feel the group growing together, which as a manager and a coach is really pleasing.
“That is why we want to bring in some more players, just to help the group along. I think with a bit more help and competition around the team, we can do even better.
The Rams boss plans to fly straight from today's game to Dublin for tomorrow's FAI Cup finals where he is looking at a couple of possible signings.
County have already made a move to sign Galway United forward Jay O'Shea in the January window.