Priskin scores as Town reserves lose to Arsenal
TAMAS Priskin netted a consolation penalty as an experienced Ipswich Town reserve team lost 2-1 to a youthful Arsenal second string at Playford Road this afternoon.
Ipswich – whose starting line-up included nine players with first team experience – controlled the first half without really creating many clear-cut chances.
The Gunners broke the deadlock eight minutes after the restart when centre-back Ignasi Miquel headed home from a Oguzhan Ozyakup corner.
The aforementioned Dutch teenager then went from provider to goalscorer, playing a sharp one-two in midfield before guiding home a shot with the outside of his boot six minutes later.
In what was a far more open and entertaining second period for the 200 or so supporters watching the lunchtime match, Ipswich pulled a goal back in the 78th minute when Hungarian international Priskin – subbed at half-time but reintroduced as a rolling sub – won and converted a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
Town then pushed for an equaliser as Josh Carson blazed over the bar and Ronan Murray – introduced for an injured Daryl Murphy after just 18 minutes – shot wide.
Ipswich brought on triallist Max Londsale at half-time, but the midfielder – recently on trial at both Manchester United and Doncaster following his release by Macclesfield – did little to impress.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 6 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 7 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 8 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 9 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 10 Appleton not shocked by Town's slow start but expects Cook's men to 'click' soon
– Full analysis in tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star.
Ipswich: Lee-Barrett, Bennett (Hyam 65), Ainsley, Smith, Whight (O’Connor 65); Carson, Healy, Martin (Burke 75), Emmanuel-Thomas (Priskin reintroduced 65), Murphy (Murray 18), Priskin (Lonsdale 46).
Unused Subs: Cropper.
Arsenal: Mannone; Angha, Boateng, Miquel, Hajrovic; Yennaris, Eastmond, Ozyakup; Ansah, Watt, Freedman.