REACTION: Carlos Edwards finds the right locker at Ipswich Town
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich v Birmingham: Carlos Edwards was delighted to end the Blues’ home campaign on a high and play his part in the 3-1 victory over Birmingham.
The veteran midfielder set Town on the way to three points with a superb strike from 30 yards, on six minutes, that left England Under-21 goalkeeper Jack Butland grasping at fresh air.
He then played a pivotal role in the remainder of the game, his work-rate and endeavour spurring on the rest of the team, and watched as goals from Luke Chambers and Daryl Murphy sealed the three points that made Ipswich mathematically safe from the drop with one game to go.
“I have been looking in the wrong locker for goals all season, but recently I have found the right one,” said Edwards, whose side moved up to 11th in the Championship table.
“Once I have scored one that tends to give me more belief and I have now got three this season. Hopefully I can add one or two more (at Burnley) next week.”
You may also want to watch:
Town’s goals came from all areas of the team, something that has been lacking for most of the season and Edwards believes that, coupled with Town preparing for their first full season under Mick McCarthy, augers well.
“Goals are coming from all areas now and it is an overall team effort. When I say team, I mean the management too and the technical staff,” Edwards added.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 6 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 7 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 8 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
“We will go away for the summer but when we return, it will mark the manager’s first pre-season and whoever he brings in, it will be positive.
“He has not waved a magic wand since he’s been here, he has just been himself, but has given the guys an extra spark and got us doing the basics right.”