Right decision – managers in agreement
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell and his Colchester United counterpart John Ward both agreed that it was the right decision to abandon tonight’s pre-season friendly following a horror injury to U’s midfielder Andy Bond.
With the game still goalless after a lively opening 78 minutes, Bond came off worse in a sickening clash of heads with home keeper Mark Cousins as both players went for the ball just outside the box.
At one point it was announced that an ambulance would be needed on the pitch as he lay unconscious, but in the end he was helped badly bloodied from the field.
“It was a no-brainer,” said Jewell. “It was a pre-season friendly and the most important thing is obviously the lad’s well-being.”
Home boss Ward waved his hand dismissively at the 1,500 visiting Blues supporters after a number were heard booing at the decision, with a minority even getting involved in some unsavoury chanting.
You may also want to watch:
“The fact the boy (Bond) walked off was just a major bonus,” he said. “He was in a very bad way and needs to go to hospital to have his head checked over.
“As far as I’m concerned the Colchester United fans were totally respectful and it’s up to other people to be responsible for their own actions.”
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 6 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 7 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 8 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
Three other Colchester players – Magnus Okuonghae, Kayode Odejayi and Cousins – also received cuts to the head in an eventful match.
– Full match report and more reaction in tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star.