Roberts itching to get back to Town
GARY Roberts is itching to get back to Ipswich and reclaim his starting place.With Alan Quinn still struggling with an ankle injury, Roberts is hoping Blues boss Jim Magilton will reject Crewe's bid to take him on loan for a second month.
GARY Roberts is itching to get back to Ipswich and reclaim his starting place.
With Alan Quinn still struggling with an ankle injury, Roberts is hoping Blues boss Jim Magilton will reject Crewe's bid to take him on loan for a second month.
Alex coach Steve Holland is keen to keep the left winger, despite their bust-up during the goal-less draw at Northampton when Roberts would not play where he was told, but Ipswich's need would come first.
You may also want to watch:
Roberts said: “We're waiting for a couple of things back at Ipswich, so I don't know yet if I can stay at Crewe.
“It is all about playing and on a personal point I want to play games. Crewe have helped me but it is up to Jim Magilton.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
“If I was going to be in his plans I would go back.”
Roberts is expected to play for Crewe this weekend and return on Monday unless there is a dramatic improvement in Quinn's recovery.
The £500,000 buy from Sheffield United missed last night's game against his old club and has now not played in Town's past five matches.
Danny Haynes and Jon Walters have been used on the left but Roberts is the only naturally left-sided attacking player Town have.
Roberts was sent to Crewe after being left out of the Blues team following a dip in form this season, not helped by an injury which meant he did not have a good pre-season.
The £220,000 signing from Accrington Stanley impressed in the initial loan period for Ipswich but has struggled to show consistency.