Shane O’Connor set to feature for Southend United
SHANE O’Connor is set to feature for Southend United on trial during a behind-closed-doors friendly today.
The Essex club have a policy of not naming triallists, but the EADT and Evening Star understands that Ipswich Town’s soon to be out of contract youngster will be among a host of players the Shrimpers are taking a look at.
The 21-year-old returned to Portman Road at the weekend having failed to make a single first team appearance during a one-month loan spell at League Two side Port Vale.
The versatile left-sided player – a Republic of Ireland Under-21 international – is one of 16 players in the final six months of their Town contracts.
Signed by Roy Keane in 2009, O’Connor become a fans’ favourite with his energy and direct running. However, after starring in the 3-0 home win over Leicester little over a year ago – a game memorable for the snow storm conditions – he found himself quickly out of favour with new boss Paul Jewell.
You may also want to watch:
His only appearance under the current manager was a 16-minute cameo as a sub in the second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final at Arsenal last January.
Jewell accepted a bid for O’Connor from newly-promoted League Two club Crawley in the summer after he impressed there on trial, however, the player turned the move down.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks