Sonko plays on trial as Town draw
SENEGALESE international centre-back Ibrahima Sonko and ex-keeper Richard Wright both played on trail for an Ipswich Town reserve side as they drew 1-1 in a behind-closed-doors game against Colchester United at Playford Road this afternoon.
Steven Gillespie opened the scoring for a strong U’s team which included former Town defender Tom Eastman before teenager Jamie Griffiths levelled things up.
Sonko, 30, was released by Premier League side Stoke at the end of last season and has been training with former club Reading to maintain fitness over the summer.
Having formed a formidable central defensive partnership with new Town signing Ivar Ingimarsson the season the Royals stormed to the Championship title, he is believed to be keen on a move to Portman Road.
Blues boss Paul Jewell – who is desperately short of centre-backs at present – admitted last week that he has been speaking to Sonko’s agent.
You may also want to watch:
The 6ft 3in defender, who is known for his aerial prowess, spent four successful years at Reading before Stoke paid �2m for his services in 2008. His career at the Britannia Stadium never quite took off though and he has spent the last two seasons out on loan at Hull and Portsmouth.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week