Stockdale’s rival pulls out of England squad
IPSWICH Town’s stopper David Stockdale’s chances of gaining his first England cap over the next seven days have increased – a little – after an injury to Rob Green.
The West Ham keeper last night withdrew from the England squad for the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales.
While Derby County’s Frankie Fielding has taken Green’s place, it would seem Stockdale has moved into pole position should number one Joe Hart get injured.
Stockdale, who helped Town to a 2-1 win against Leeds on Saturday, was in the squad for the friendly against Holland earlier this month which was cancelled due to the London riots.
But boss Fabio Capello has kept faith with the goalkeeper despite Town’s heavy 5-2 and 7-1 losses to Southampton and Peterborough respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Even though he conceded 12 goals in those two games, Stockdale was widely praised for his performances in both.
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 5 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 6 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 9 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base