Supporters will be moved as Ipswich Town look to beat the snow
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town will keep the lower tier of the Cobbold Stand clear for Saturday’s visit of Barnsley just in case a large amount of snow needs to be moved there.
A hot air tent has been in place over the Portman Road pitch all week and is expected to protect the pitch against temperatures of just below freezing having already survived a night of minus eight degrees this week.
The only danger to the Championship game being postponed would be heavy snowfall on Friday night and Saturday morning, but the Blues have put contingency plans in place should this happen.
Supporters in the lower tier of the Cobbold Stand will be re-housed in the upper tier so that any standing snow – forecast to be between two and 10 inches – can be quickly moved into the empty seats by the side of the pitch.
“We don’t know how much snow we are dealing with but we may have to shift a lot off the pitch and the easiest way to do that is via the Cobbold Stand,” Town chief executive Simon Clegg told the club website.
You may also want to watch:
“We need to ‘free up’ access to stack up the snow in the lower tier of the stand so all supporters in that area will be issued tickets for the upper tier when they come through the turnstiles on Saturday.
“Our groundstaff are confident the pitch will be fine but the snow – and the quantity of it – is the problem. We have plans in place and will be doing everything possible to get the game on.”
- 1 Matt Hancock faces calls to resign after allegation of affair with aide
- 2 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 3 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 4 Town considering move for Birmingham striker Cosgrove
- 5 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 6 Rare disease linked to cat food kills Ipswich kitten
- 7 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 8 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
- 9 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Teenager found guilty of attempted murder
– Check this website for updates.