TEAM NEWS: Lee Martin and Tommy Smith start for Ipswich
Ipswich v West Ham: Town’s returning Olympian Tommy Smith and Lee Martin both make their first starts of pre-season for this afternoon’s showcase summer friendly against Premier League West Ham.
Smith has missed all of the friendlies thus far due to his involvement in London 2012 with New Zealand while Martin has been struggling with a thigh injury – playing just 30 minutes of the previous five first team matches.
Damien Delaney drops to the bench while Andy Drury (calf) is not in the 18-man matchday squad.
For the majority of the Portman Road crowd, it will be the first chance to see new signings Scott Loach, Luke Chambers and Massimo Luongo, the latter being the most impressive player in Town’s stuttering pre-season.
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has named his strongest available line-up with injury and the Olympics depriving him of a number of first team players.
Sam Baldock, a striker who has interested both Ipswich and divisional rivals Bristol City, is not included in the Hammers’ squad but new boys Jussi Jaaskelainen, James Collins and Modibo Maiga all start.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 4 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 5 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 6 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 7 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 8 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 9 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 10 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
Ipswich: Loach, Edwards, Cresswell, Chambers, Smith, Hyam, Carson, Luongo, Emmanuel-Thomas, Martin, Chopra. Subs – Lee-Barrett, Murray, Ainsley, Delaney, Kourouma, Lawrence, Whight.
West Ham: Jaaskelainen; Demel, Reid, Collins, Potts; O’Neil, Noble, Taylor; Maiga, Cole, Vaz Te. Subs – Maynard, Henderson, Moncur, O’Brien, Fanimo, Lletget.