Tom Winter stunner gives Ipswich Town excellent FA Youth Cup win at Bristol City
TOM Winter scored a stunning goal to send Ipswich Town into the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup at the expense of Bristol City.
The midfield dynamo illuminated an otherwise uneventful tie at Ashton Gate as Town exacted revenge for a 4-0 defeat handed out by the Robins earlier this season.
There appeared to be little on for Winter when he collected the ball on the edge of a crowded penalty area. But he stunned City keeper Dylan Castanheira with a superb curling shot that dipped under the bar and found the top right-hand corner of the net.
Having taken the lead, Town were then indebted to goalkeeper Michael Crowe, who made a fine sprawling save to keep out Pierce Mitchell’s header early in the second half.
City came on strong in search of an equaliser and the visitors breathed a sigh of relief when Jamal Simms fired wide of a gaping target, while Conor Evans steered a header inches wide from close range.
The home side looked certain to score when Wes Burns burst through five minutes from time, only for Town defender Omar Sowumni to make a goal-saving intervention.
But Ipswich defended valiantly and soaked up sustained pressure to make it a happy return to Ashton Gate for youth team boss Russell Osman, once a City player and manager.
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
- 3 Suffolk's first blue badge prosecution for Haverhill woman
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 6 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 7 Go-ahead given for 40 new homes in Suffolk village
- 8 Dobra signs for Cook's Chesterfield after Ipswich departure
- 9 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 10 Three Suffolk beaches named among 'most beautiful' in UK by Sunday Times
Bristol City: Castenheira, Simms, John, Jordan, Batten, Mitchell, Evans (Bishop 76), Hall (Paice 90), Burns, Morrell (Pollard 70), Cline.
Ipswich Town: Crowe, Hammond, October, Berkane, Sowumni, Clarke, Winter, Galvin, Marriott, Lawrence, Timlin (Willbye 72).