Tommy Smith excited by Olympic challenge
IPSWICH Town defender Tommy Smith has described being selected for the London Olympics with New Zealand as a “fantastic honour”.
The 23-year-old has been named in the ‘Lily Whites’ 23-man squad for the Games where he will come up against Belarus, Egypt and Brazil.
Smith said: “It’s a fantastic honour to be selected for the Olympics and it will be a great experience too.
“I’m just really excited to be involved in the Olympics, especially with them being held in England.”
And the young defender has moved to reassure concerned Town fans that his hectic summer – which include the Oceania Nations Cup and pre-Olympic friendlies in Asia – will not impact on his club form next season.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I will be back for the start of pre-season with Ipswich for a while, before then joining up with the All Whites.
“Playing in the Games would add to my match fitness ahead of the season, as well as being a fantastic honour, so I think I will be fine for Ipswich come the start of the season.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 7 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 10 Plans for new 'ambitious' housing development moves forward